On Friday Jul 12, forms went up. Actually, first they went down, slid from truck to hole along one of the same 2x12s that were used to form up the footer.
The forms are a pretty clever thing – they have both holes in the top and bottom flanges to allow them to be stacked and linked (my walls took two 4′ courses) as well as holes through that allow for breakaway ties that connect them against the weight of the concrete pushing outward when they’re filled up.
Originally, they were planning to pour the same day, but between the availability of concrete trucks, the length of the process, and the heat, they wound up calling it off and rescheduling for Monday. Thus, on Saturday Jul 13, I had a chance to check the work, which seemed great overall. I also took a number of photos to provide to our local Code Enforcement Officer, since he was out during the week and wasn’t able to visit the site between the forming and the pour.
I verified a number of things like the distance from the lot lines, which all seemed OK. I did find a pair of pipes (for utilities) that were on the wrong end of the wall, but I was able to easily put in another pair. The two grey pipes are the ones I added.
However, by the time I was done my clothes were covered in the release oil that they had put onto the forms. Even though this was an “eco-friendly” release agent, it smelled so strongly that Raederle had a migraine within 15 minutes and I promptly tossed the clothes in a pile outside.
On Monday Jul 15, they came back in the morning to do the pour. As much of the work (which is a lot) is done by the concrete truck, the team still had to stir and push the concrete away from the chute and into the forms with long 2×4’s. It was a hot (80°F/27°C) and sunny day, but not yet the peak of the week.
For the end of the pour, they used the very clever “conveyor truck” which allows them to direct the concrete just by moving around a long tube. That let them focus their efforts on the finesse of getting it level so they could finish the top surface easily.
Then they installed the anchor bolts that will hold the house down to the foundation.
Here is what it looked like at 8pm, several hours after they finished, as the concrete was setting.
The next day, Tuesday Jul 16, they were back to take down the steel forms. Here is what it looked like partway through at a little after 10am.
Those steel forms that were easily slid down into the hole then all had to be lifted back out and loaded onto the trucks. A lot of hard, hot, and thirsty work, on a day that got up to 88°F (31°C) with bright sun all day. I brought them a gallon of ice water mid day when their own reserves were running low. And here at last, is the finished product. I now own (well, once they cash the check) a basement!